The Vettor Pisani Battery was built between 1909 and 1912. It was named after the Supreme Venetian Commander who defeated the Genoese fleet, in the War of Chioggia, towards the end of the 14th century. The main armament consisted of six 280/L howitzers which ranged over 10.500 mt.; the artillery was arranged on the surface of semicircular emplacements and when barrels were oriented toward the sea, the shots grazed the glacis of the building and therefore the flames "shaved" the glacis itself.
The battery, built in reinforced concrete, is made up of a central body of more than 80 metres long on a single level. Two parallel tunnel vaulted corridors lead to the 11-metre high telemetry turrets and to the two 30-metre long side wings.
The telemetry turrets were provided with goniometers which were used to estimate the distances of the selected targets through the so-called triangulation system and with panoramic sight rangefinders. Due to the sandy nature of the soil, there were no natural observation points, therefore telemetry towers were widely used in the coastal batteries during WW1 in order to give the proper direction to the shots, as on a flat surface –both towards the mainland and the sea- it was very difficult to triangulate the shots. During the Great War, the battery stood only a short distance from the sea and the part facing it was concealed by a terreplein of sand.
MUSEUM - GIVE FUTURE TO THE PAST
The exhibition paths have been studied and planned with the aim of not prevailing over the natural expressiveness of the Battery itself, respecting the location in which we find ourselves. We tried to enhance the Battery and leave room for every mark, every recess and most of all we tried to respect the exact modularity of its spaces. The setting-up of the exhibitions has a modern and plain graphic design that leads the visitor through a real visual and interactive experience among curiosities, relics and precise themes. Breathing, touching, looking and listening, the visitor can understand the strategic role of the coastline and of the Venetian Lagoon.
Enhancement of past places.
We talk- through photos and technical studies- about the conservative restoration project and about the restoration steps of two very important war buildings of the territory: the Vettor Pisani Battery and the Amalfi Battery, able by themselves to recall reflexions in the visitor.
Fragments of World War I engraved in memory.
The exposition is a general pathway on the Great War that ideally starts from the great events to reach-and then analyze- some particular aspects. The story linked to the exhibition, presents evidences, relics, and documental material, together with objects and curiosities, in a circuit that develops itself through the past and war strategies. Then there are specific aspects of the war on the coastlines, for example the artillery, the lagoon wire fences layouts , the Navy with the pontoons and the MAS, and the peculiar figures of the “Caimans of the Piave”, special units of swimmers employed in the river.
The trigonometry in the littoral.
This exhibition gives a lot of space to telemetry turrets, equipped with goniometers and panoramic sight rangefinders which were used to estimate the distances of the targets through triangulation. Due to the sandy nature of the soil, there were no natural observation points, therefore telemetry towers were widely used in order to triangulate the shots.
THE VETTOR PISANI BATTERY
History and description of the building.
A suggestive story of the building with the description of its armaments, of its rooms and other elements that composed it: from its construction up to now.
Adults euro 10,00
Children 6-18 Jahre - Over 65 euro 5,00
Children 0-6 Jahre free
Family ticket (2+2/3) euro 20,00
09.30-12.30 - 18.00-20.00 until 20th August
09.30-12.30 - 16.30-19.00 from 21st August
Closed on Monday morning.